Moving into our New House

Sunday 12 November 2017




Ok everyone I have an announcement to make: Jared and I have finally moved into our new house!

We finally moved in on the 28th October and I hope you’ll forgive me for taking so long to write this post. As I’m sure you can imagine, it’s been pretty hectic and I haven’t had time to do anything other than work on the house. 

We celebrated our first night with a picnic on the floor because we were too tired to cook. It was a pretty sweet meal though, knowing all our hard work was worth it in the end. 

By the time this post goes live, we will be returning from a trip to Birmingham to collect Jared’s stuff from his parents house. This is our final phase of moving stuff and then we can finally consider ourselves settled.

So we spent a week moving our stuff very slowly each evening, one car load of stuff at a time. Eventually we only had the absolute essentials at my parents house. By Friday evening my room only had my bed and my empty wardrobe left it in. It looked like I had just moved in, rather than moved out.

That was the worst part as I felt all over the place and quite emotional about the huge change that was about to take place. I was desperate to just get on with it as I knew it would be fine once I actually moved. It finally dawned on me how a big a moment this was and how permanent this would be.


On Saturday Jared and I took our bed apart and reassembled it in our new room. My Dad very kindly helped up move my wardrobe and mattress and did all manner of small jobs like helping put up curtain poles and installing our new cooker (thank you Daddy, you're the best).

It was all going so swimmingly until we started to reassemble our TV. Jared’s sister very kindly gave us our TV for free just after we graduated last summer. She had bought it second hand at uni and then moved to a house where it wouldn’t fit. Although a 50 inch plasma looked ridiculous in my bedroom at my parents house, I can’t afford to turn down a free TV. It worked fine but the only downside was the stand that it came with. Not only was it ugly but it didn’t seem sturdy enough to hold the weight. But the previous owner had removed all the attachments you needed to fix an alternative.

On top of all of it’s other negatives, the stand was also a right faff to take apart and put together. After an hour of aggravating messing about, the TV was finally back on its stand in our new house. At which point there was an almighty crash as the TV fell off onto the glass stand which shattered into millions of tiny shards. To cap it all the TV landed on a leg from the stand and smashed the screen. Pretty disastrous all round.

It took us an hour to carefully pick up all the tiny pieces of glass and hoover the whole room. At which point we discovered that it wasn’t our fault that it happened. The metal bracket on the TV had physically sheared off, causing the TV to fall. So it was basically an accident waiting to happen and I’m mostly grateful it didn’t fall on anyone. 


My parents very kindly let us borrow their TV from their bedroom (after they had finished laughing), while we waited for our new one to arrive. As we didn't have a stand now that our old one was in a million pieces we had to improvise! 



The plus side is we now have a lovely new 4K 50 inch Samsung and it is so so nice *inserts heart eyed emoji*! Watching Blue Planet 2 on it is pretty out of this world compared to our old one.

Our spare room is still an absolute mess and will only get worse once we bring all of Jared's stuff back from Birmingham. But I'm just calling it a work in progress ;)

The best thing is that our cat Boo is now feeling settled and at home here. I love her being here as it reminds me of home and it's hard to feel stressed when a cat is asleep on your lap.

Actually living here feels very strange and although all of our stuff is here and we both feel comfortable, it doesn't yet feel like home. It feels like we're staying in a holiday cottage for a few weeks and then we'll be going back to my parents house. I guess that will change with time as we get used to it. 

If you have any tips for making a new place feel like home, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan